From the book
Portrait and Biographical Record
of Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania,
Chapman Publishing Co., New York, 1897
George B. Carson. The family represented by this well known businessman of Scranton traces its ancestry to Scotland, where his great-grandfather, Thomas Carson, was a shepherd. John, next in line of descent, was born in the highlands of Scotland, but in early manhood went to Wales, and in Breconshire married Miss Ann Powell. Later he made his home in Glamorganshire until quite advanced in years, when, about 1859, he joined his son Thomas in Scranton. He was born in 1806, and was over seventy when he passed away. In religious beliefs he was identified with the Congregational Church. His wife, who was born in Breconshire, was the daughter of Reese Powell, a cooper by trade and a life-long resident of that shire.
In the family of John and Ann Carson there were four children, all of whom came to America, and two, Thomas and a sister, are living. The former was born near Brecon, Wales, June 11, 1827, and at the age of two years was taken to Neath, Glamorganshire, where for a short time he attended the pay schools. At the age of nine he commenced to work in the mines, where he remained until thirteen, and afterward was similarly engaged in another part of that same shire. March 22, 1848, he left Liverpool on the sailer "Henry Clay," and after a voyage of twenty-eight days landed in New York City, whence he went to Tamaqua, Schuylkill County, Pa., and secured employment in the collieries for the Pennsylvania & Reading Railroad Company. In the summer of 1850 he went to Carbondale and prospected for coal, being employed by the Delaware & Hudson Company.
Coming to Hyde Park in 1855, Thomas Carson assisted in sinking the Hampton Shaft, and on its completion became the inside foreman. He remained in that mine until 1890, when he was transferred to the Taylor mine, but after three months he went to the Storrs mine at Dickson City, and has since been inside foreman there, having one hundred and twenty miners under him. Politically, he upholds Republican doctrines. For three years he represented the fifth ward in the common council, serving on different committees. Fraternally he is connected with the Masons, Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias and Ivorites. For years he has been a trustee of the First Welsh Presbyterian Church, and has been the Sunday-school superintendent. In 1895, accompanied by his son and granddaughter, he took a trip to Wales, where he spent two months in renewing the associations dear to him in youth.
In Tamaqua Mr. Carson married Miss Catherine Eynon, who was born in Carmarthenshire Wales, and a sister of Thomas Eynon. Eight children were born of this union, one of whom died unnamed in infancy. The others were Margaret A.; Mrs. W. T. Davis, who died in Wales; John, who passed away at the age of thirty-eight; George B., the subject of this sketch; Edward and William, formerly employees of the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Company, but now deceased; Albert, a bookkeeper residing in Scranton; and Deborah, deceased. After the death of his first wife. Mr. Carson married Mrs. Jane Davis, whose former husband, Daniel Davis, was a merchant in Hyde Park.
Born in Scranton, February 12, 1856, the subject of this article was reared and educated here. When he was about thirteen he began as a clerk, and a few years later started out for himself, about 1870 opening a small grocery, which he enlarged from time to time. In 1878 he took his brother-in-law into partnership, the firm becoming Carson & Davis. Later he built a double store at Nos. 1309-11 Washburn Street, and since has carried on a large mercantile business, employing several assistants and using three delivery wagons for the accommodation of his customers. In this city he married Miss Louise Hagen, whose father, Henry Hagen, was a blacksmith with the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western. Three children comprise the family, Robert, Bertha and Ruth, who reside with their parents at No. 1221 Washburn Street.
In addition to his store and residence, Mr. Carson has other real estate interests here. For two years he had a branch store in Peckville, but disposed of it. In 1889 he was appointed on the board of school control to fill a vacancy caused by the resignation of the member from the fifth ward. In February, 1890, he was nominated and elected, on the Republican ticket, for a term of four years, and at its expiration was re-elected. In 1895 he was president of the board, and at different times has done efficient committee work. He is a member of Hyde Park Lodge, No. 339, F. & A. M., and the Ivorites. While not identified with any denomination, he has contributed to the Simpson Methodist Episcopal Church, with which his wife is identified. He has done active work in the ranks of the Republican party, and has been a member of the city and county committees, at all times doing what he can to promote the party welfare.
Return to the Prominent Welshmen of Scranton page
Read more about the connection between Scranton and Brynmawr, Wales
Read more about the history of Hyde Park
Return to the main page at the Thomas family website
Web site copyright © by Jeffrey L. Thomas, with all rights reserved